The Chambers Hotel was constructed in 1889 by a citizens group headed by Sheriff James H. Chambers, and was opened to the public in 1890 as the Chambers House. The elegant hotel was built on the corner of First Street and Warren Avenue in the business center of town. It was considered a brick structure of “modern style and finish” and inside its arrangements were “up to the highest standard of comfort and elegance, with natural gas heating and water and electrical bells on every floor.”
In 1912, the building was bought by Mr. and Mrs. C. A. Hartman who changed the name to the Hartman House. The name was changed to the Chambers Hotel in memory of Private Eugene L. Chambers of Apollo who was killed on December 7, 1941 during the Japanese attack on Pearl Harbor, Hawaii.
It was owned by Mr. and Mrs. Joseph Maraffi when the fourth floor caught on fire on September 25, 1948. The top floor had to be removed, but the hotel restaurant and bar was opened within two weeks and the upper floors reopened later under a new roof.
Frank and Mary DeNemo bought the hotel in 1953 and sold it to Jim and Mary Anne Minnick in 1987. On August 14, 1976, a second fire struck the hotel. The building needed major restoration, but opened again for business.
The Chambers Hotel had a side apartment where Mr. W.F. Pauley opened his drug store. His sons, William J. who was also a registered pharmacist, and Franklin worked in the store and continued to operate it until 1964.