Dr. Thomas J. Henry, M. D., physician and surgeon, was born in Apollo Nov. 3, 1858. His early education was secured in the public and select schools of Apollo and at Eldersridge Academy. Before taking up medical work he taught school in Apollo and was principal of the Franklin school at Conemaugh, Pa. Beginning the study of medicine under Dr. W. B. Ansley, he completed his course at the medical department of the University of Wooster, located in Cleveland, Ohio. Later he took a post-graduate course at the Philadelphia Polyclinic. In 1884 he settled in Penn Run, where he practiced three years. In 1887 he located in Apollo. Dr. Henry belonged to the Armstrong County Medical Society and the Pennsylvania State Medical Society, and was a member of the American Medical Association. He was an official examiner for the United States Marine Corps. Fraternally he was a Mason, being connected with Blue Lodge No. 437. In politics he was a Republican. He had served on the council and school board several years, and was a director of the First National bank of this city. During his long practice Dr. Henry was eminently successful and justly regarded as one of the prosperous physicians in the locality.
Dr. Henry is the author of “The History of Apollo 1816-1916”, a definitive history of Apollo’s first hundred years. A copy of this book may be found at the Apollo Area Historical Society museum or follow this link to read the book online.