The town’s earliest church, the Presbyterian, held meetings before the town of Warren was even laid out. The photo above is the Presbyterian Church’s first building, erected in 1826. It stood near the site of the present church, at the southeast corner of today’s First Street and Pennsylvania Ave.
Warren/Westminster Presbyterian Church was a part of the Poke Run Church as early as 1814 with Elders James Guthrie & James Jackson providing services. Meetings were held in Samuel McKee’s barn. When lots were laid out in 1816, 2 lots were donated for a meeting house, school, and cemetery. The stone church was built in 1826. The Warren Presbyterian Church was renamed Apollo Presbyterian Church in 1848. In 1878 a red brick & stone building was built about 200 feet from original bldg. The first pipe organ was installed in this church in 1896 and the first organist for the new pipe organ was Miss Bess Jackson, the mother of actor Jimmy Stewart. She was organist for about 10 years. The present day church was built in 1907. The stones were quarried from the Hilty farm south of Apollo by Mr. TM Willard with helpers. Mr. Willard dressed the stone & laid them up while some present members and others helped by mixing mortar, carrying it and the stone to the builders. In 1968 a new Education Center was constructed to accommodate Sunday School classes and the administrative offices. It was known as the Westminster Church at the time of the merger with Calvin United Presbyterian in 1970.
The Presbyterian Church built its second building, below, in 1866 on what is now the surface of First Street.
The photo below, taken in 1924, shows the present stone building of the Apollo United Presbyterian Church before First Street was extended past it. This building was erected in 1906.
The church today