Apollo Lodge #386
The Apollo Lodge of the Benevolent and Protective Order of Elks was chartered on September 16, 1897, about 30 years after the national organization started. Apollo’s lodge was founded by W.F. Pauly, a Mercer County man who moved to the borough to open a pharmacy.
The Order of Elks is dedicated to providing service to its community through various types of work, such as offering help to veterans, caring for the needy, drug awareness programs, law and order, community affairs, helping handicapped children, sponsoring PA Home Services nurses, and funding scholarships, youth sports, and charities. Elks invest in their community through programs that help children grow up healthy and drug-free, by undertaking projects that address unmet needs, and by honoring the service and sacrifice of our veterans.
The Elks used to sponsor a Flag Day Ceremony to demonstrate love for country and love for the U.S. flag that symbolizes liberty and the pursuit of happiness.
The Elks bought property and a building from Walter and Bella Guthrie in 1904 on the corner of North Warren Avenue and North Fourth Street. This building remains standing today and was sold in the 2000’s to the Fraternal Order of Eagles.