According to Dr. T. J. Henry’s book “1816-1916: History of Apollo”, this church was organized about 1830. The first pastor was Reverend William Galbraith who was installed on November 23, 1836 and served until 1843. Dr. Henry then lists the pastors as follows:
Rev, Thomas Gilkerson, October 10, 1840 to February 10, 1859
Rev. Oliver Katz, 1865-1873
Rev. R.A. Jamison, 1878-1916
Calvin United Presbyterian Church was organized about 1830. The first church building was erected in 1868. It was 32 x 45 feet. There was no cellar excavation. It was a hewed mortised frame building. The weatherboarding was put on in a perpendicular position and the seats were homemade. The building pictured here was built in 1885 and was about 38’ by 65 ‘ divided into rooms with folding doors between. In a short time the building was raised, the cellar excavated and a wall built. This furnished 2 good rooms in the basement. A parsonage was erected in 1891 and was located diagonally across N. 2nd Street from the church. The building was extensively remodeled around 1912 with an addition put to the west side, making the building 48’ by 65’. This including moving the pulpit from the south end of the sanctuary to the west side with a new pipe organ installed. This plan then gave five separate rooms downstairs. New seats, new pulpit furniture, and new glass in the windows greatly improved the usefulness and attractiveness of the sanctuary. The seating capacity was in excess of 400. In 1953 another building project was undertaken with the addition of 6 new Sabbath School rooms, a pastor’s study, washrooms and a new and enlarged kitchen. The congregation merged with the Westminster Presbyterian Church in 1970 and began meeting in the current UP building as the Apollo United Presbyterian Church.
The building which is still standing on North Second Street was briefly the home of Sovereign Grace Baptist Church. It is now a private residence with a training gym in the basement.