A longtime landmark in Apollo was recently razed to replace the “bridge” that carries Warren Avenue over what is sometimes called “Sugar Run” at the corner of N. 11th Street. The Wallace Lumber Company building was torn down this past November and five members of the AAHS were able to tour the building hoping to salvage something to display in the museum. Unfortunately, no original items remained due to the changes
made to the interior over the years to suit the other businesses that occupied it. The building started as the Myers & Fiscus General Store. No date has been found for its beginnings, but a general store is shown at that location on a 1904 Sanborn Fire Insurance map, making it at least 117 years old. For many years it was part of the Wallace Lumber Company. After that it was home to Keystone Carpet, The Silver Dollar Lounge, and most recently The Apollo Eagles Club. The image to the right would have had a small calendar attached to the two small holes on the bottom.
If anyone has any additional history information or photos, please contact us. Thanks!