Owens Grove

Hugh G. Owens and his wife Emma wanted to show their appreciation and love for the children of Apollo and the region by donating land to house a playground and recreation area. The Owens promised the land to Apollo’s Burgess and Council in 1921, in the Oak Hill neighborhood on the condition that concessions could not be sold for profit, no permanent buildings could be erected in the park except for a Soldiers and Sailors Memorial Hall, and no alcoholic beverages would be permitted in the park. A caretaker would be named by the Council and maintenance would be provided. The park was named “Owens Grove Children’s Playground and Park”. In 1977, the borough, along with the Armstrong County Redevelopment Authority, secured block grant funding to build a new community building. The building, dedicated on October 22, 1978, was to facilitate community-based programs and events. The Borough provided the park’s equipment through several county and state grants. Since the park opened, it has served as the central meeting place for family, community, and class reunions, as well as many community events. (paragraph from the Apollo Bicentennial Committee 2016 book)

Aerial View Of Owens Grove

The Tank In The Grove

Rosalind Kness of 622 N. 2nd Street watches the Apollo Centennial Parade pass her house. 1916

The Owens Grove Sign Through The Years

The Great Owens Grove Playground Equipment

The Wading Pool

Owens Grove During The Apollo Bicentennial 2016

Free Methodist Church Camp August 1913

Parking During A Football Game Apollo Vs. Vandergrift, Nov. 25, 1926