The Women’s Christian Temperance Union was organized in 1864 under the direction of Miss Frances Willard. The goal of the organization was “total abstinence for the individual and sobriety for the nation.” The W.C.T.U. also held steadfastly to another purpose – a campaign of education.In 1909, the W.C.T.U. building was erected as the W.C.T.U. headquarters and to provide a suitable space for a public library. The building was home to Armstrong County’s first library, the Apollo Free Library, from 1911 until 1965 when the new Apollo Memorial Library was built on Pennsylvania Ave.In 1997, Apollo Borough purchased the building from the State W.C.T.U. Organization, and the following year, turned the building over to the Apollo Area Historical Society to be used as a meeting place and local historical museum.