Apollo Cemetery

The Apollo Cemetery was laid out in 1868 by T.A. Cochran, S.M. Jackson, and John B. Chambers.  The original entrance was via a road up the side of the hill from Kiski Avenue Extension.  The cemetery is the final resting place of many of the early leaders of Apollo including Dr. T.J. Henry and Judge Michael Cochran, the father of Nellie Bly, as well as 85 Civil War veterans.

In 1908 Hugh Owens and sons laid out Riverview Cemetery to the north of the Apollo Cemetery, and through the years the two have grown together.  Sixteen Civil War veterans are buried in the Riverview Cemetery.

Two other local cemeteries, Spring Church and South Bend are the final resting place of 23 Civil War veterans each.


1907 Civil War Memorial

In 1907 G.A.R. Post 89 of Apollo erected the Memorial to honor those who served in the “War of Rebellion” as it was commonly called then.  The granite base holds a Dahlgren Naval Gun pointing skyward.

This gun, weighing 4,521 pounds, was made by the Cyrus Alger & Company, Boston, MA in 1866, and used a 32 pound shell.  Service of these guns was entirely naval and they were not used on land.  Several markings can be seen on the gun including an anchor and initials of naval inspectors.

The Circle of Honor behind the gun includes the graves of Civil War veterans Eaden Eakman, James A. Saltsgiver, Daniel R. Keiflin, Jeremiah Brubaker, Daniel McClain, Benjamin F. Shearer, Andrew H. Sheasley, and Alexander Long.

For an excellent article about the Truby family’s tombstones, click here to visit Vicki Contie’s site.  Vicki’ stories about the Truby farmhouse & family are fun to read as you learn more about Apollo’s history.  Her website is here.