Welcome to our site! We hope you enjoy exploring the history of Apollo as we continue to build this site. You can help us keep the history of the Apollo Area alive. Become an AAHS member. Volunteer to help with programs and events or donate using PayPal. Be sure to attend our various programs and events. Check out our Events page for more information.
The map above was drawn by Thaddeus Mortimer Fowler and published by T. M. Fowler & James B. Moyer in 1896. Apollo emerged from the newly formed Armstrong County in the early 1800’s. The early settlement next to the Kiskiminetas River was known as Warren’s Sleeping Place. When it was formally laid out in 1816, it was named Warren, but when the post office was established in 1827 the name was changed to Apollo. It had been determined that there was already another Warren in Pennsylvania and Apollo adopted its classical name. after Apollo, the Greek and Roman god of music, healing, light, prophecy and enlightenment.
Apollo obtained its first mill in 1849. In 1855, the Pennsylvania Canal was completed, which bolstered the community’s economy. Apollo’s great iron industry began with the formation of the Kiskiminetas Iron Company in 1856. The company’s rolling mill operated under different proprietorships until 1876, when P. H. Laufman & Co., Ltd. took over management. The firm erected a bigger mill adding to its capacity from 65 to 300 tons of de-carbonized steel per week and erected a copper plating works. The Apollo Foundry was organized in 1889. In the 1890’s, the company ended a labor dispute by hiring local workers as replacements. To avoid further disputes, the Apollo Iron and Steel Company aimed to improve its workers’ living conditions and hired the architectural firm of Olmsted, Olmsted and Eliot, of New York’s Central Park fame, to design a model industrial town, Vandergrift, just north of Apollo.
Apollo Borough is located in Armstrong County, 35 miles northeast of Pittsburgh in a former coal mining region. Land bordering Apollo is North Apollo and Kiskiminetas Township. Surrounding neighborhoods include Vandergrift, Leechburg, Avonmore, and Saltsburg.